If you’re vegan, your commitment to plant-based living extends from your diet to also include your beauty routine. And while cruelty-free and vegan products are now abundant in the shops, sometimes you feel like DIYing it.
That’s why we put together this list of our top five favourite homemade vegan hair masks, which you can easily make with ingredients from your kitchen.
Frizz Fighting Banana Mask
If your smoothie stash of bananas is starting to look a little over ripe, this rich and creamy hair mask is the perfect way to put them to good use. This mask is ultra hydrating, helping chase those stubborn fly-aways away. We’re not monkeying around with this recipe!
- Mash up a banana with a tablespoon of olive oil and five drops of marula oil.
- Finger-comb through your hair and cover with a shower cap to increase absorption.
- Leave for 20 minutes, and rinse out in the shower.
Deep Cleaning Agave Mask
Product build-up on your hair strands can cause seriously annoying issues with texture and shine. Both harsh products and the minerals from improperly filtered water can create a less than lovely film on your strands. Eliminate build-up with this cleansing mask, and watch your strands shine!
- Mix together 2 tablespoons agave nectar, one and a half tablespoon apple cider vinegar, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Slightly dampen your hair in the bath or shower and apply from roots to end, finger combing through.
- Leave the mask on for 10 to 15 minutes as you practice your best shower karaoke tunes.
- Rinse completely with cool water.
Rejuvenating Avocado and Banana Mask
While it’s not quite as tasty as your favourite guacamole, this rejuvenating avocado and banana mask is perfect for moisturising your hair and scalp, and helping to nourish weakened or heat-damaged strands from the inside out. Bonus points: this mask is great for all hair types, so you can double the recipe and share it with a friend.
- Mash together 1 banana, half an avocado, and a little splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon, squishing until perfectly smooth.
- Comb out your hair to prevent the mask from clumping, and apply.
- Clip up your hair and let it sit for half an hour. Now’s the perfect time to make guacamole from that other avocado half!
- Rinse with cool water and air dry hair.