Harissa paste? Oh, it’s like a party for your taste buds in a little jar… and this recipe will wow your BBQ guests and certainly beat the burgers!
Harissa Smoked Aubergine, Pomegranate & Saffron Coconut Yoghurt
Harissa Smoked Aubergine
2 large Aubergines
30 grams Harissa paste
1 bunch Coriander
30ml Vegetable Oil
Nigella Seeds & Sumac, Micro Coriander, to garnish Salt
Saffron Coconut Yoghurt
240 grams Coconut Yoghurt
1 pinch saffron threads, soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm water. 1 Lemon
Salt, to taste
- Preheat the Traegar to a temperature of 200°c
2. Begin by preparing the aubergine. Cut the aubergines in half lengthwise. Score the flesh of each half with a knife, creating a crisscross pattern. Be careful not to cut through the skin.
3. In a small bowl, mix the harissa paste, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and salt. Brush the mixture evenly over the flesh side of each aubergine half.
4. Place the aubergines directly on the grill grates of your smoker BBQ, flesh side up. Close the lid and smoke them for about 40 minutes or until the flesh is tender. For the final stages of cooking to develop the smokey flavour, reduce the temperature to 100°c and activate the super smoke mode.
5. While the aubergines are smoking, prepare the Saffron Coconut Yoghurt. In a small bowl, combine the coconut yoghurt, soaked saffron threads, squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Adjust the salt according to your taste.
6. Once the aubergines are done smoking, remove them from the BBQ and set them aside to cool for a few minutes. Toss them with freshly chopped coriander and another squeeze of lemon juice.
7. To assemble, line a plate with the Saffron Yoghurt and top with the Aubergine. Garnish with Pomegranate, Nigella and Sumac. This pairs well with warm pita bread, naan, or crispy tortilla chips.
VeggieVision TV tip……. why not make double and leave in the fridge for the next day…. if they last that long of course….
Recipes created by Yorkshire Nourishment in association with Traeger.
With many thanks to Traeger for supporting our vegan BBQ features by supplying a grill to VeggieVision TV.