Salsa Verde… “green sauce” in Spanish, is a yummy sauce made from a base of green ingredients, typically herbs and other green vegetables…. with this recipe we see the addition of potatoes too make a filling side dish….
Smoked Baby Potato, Baby Fennel & Salsa Verde
Baby Potato & Fennel
500 grams baby potatoes, washed and halved, Apache or Mirabelle will give excellent results.
3 grams baby fennel bulbs
30g vegetable oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 cloves of garlic
40 grams fresh parsley leaves
10 grams fresh mint leaves
10 grams fresh basil
2 tablespoons baby capers
2 cloves garlic
120 vegetable oil
- Preheat the Traeger to a temperature of around 200°c
- Quarter or half the potatoes, depending on size. Add to a large bowl and combinewith the oil, smoked paprika, garlic and salt. Toss well to coat the evenly.
- Place the seasoned baby potatoes into a cast iron skillet ensuring they are spreadout in a single layer. Place in the top shelf of the Traegar.
- Close the lid and smoke the vegetables for about 1 to 1.5 hours, or until they arecrisp yet cooked.
- Whilst the potatoes are smoking, prepare the Salsa Verde. In a blender, combine thechopped parsley, mint, basil, capers, garlic, lemon juice, vegetable oil and salt, be cautious of too much salt as the capers will bring the seasoning. Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. It should be a herby and quite a zesty punch to cut through the smokey flavours.
- Once the smoked baby potatoes done, remove them and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Combine with the Salsa Verde, ensuring an even coating.
- Shave the baby fennel and toss through at the last moment.
9. Adjust the seasoning, adding more salt and lemon juice if required. Serve up and enjoy!
VeggieVision TV tip……. why not add in some olives or sun dried tomatoes …
Recipes created by Yorkshire Nourishment in association with Traeger.
With many thanks to Traeger for supporting our vegan BBQ features by supplying a grill to VeggieVision TV.