When you’re looking for the perfect side dish to complement all of your holiday mains, this vegan broccoli and wild rice casserole is a perfect choice. This dish is made with vegan butter, soy milk, and vegan cheese for the ultimate non-dairy feast and the best cheesy, gooey indulgence. All you need is 15 minutes to prep the ingredients and the rice will cook slowly for about 45 minutes, almost like a risotto. Everyone will love the taste of their favorite combination, wild rice and broccoli, covered in cheese and baked until crisp on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Vegan “Cheesy” Broccoli & Wild Rice Casserole
Serves 8-10 people
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups lacinato kale, rinsed and chopped
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup soy milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 heads of broccoli, chopped and de-stemmed
- 2 cups vegan cheese
- In a large sauce pot or in an Instant Pot with sauté mode, heat the vegan butter on medium heat until melted. Add in the sage and rosemary, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the chopped kale, and sauté until just lightly cooked. Stir in the wild rice, and mix until lightly golden and fragrant.
- Reduce the heat, and add in the water, soymilk, and sea salt. Stir and cover to cook for 40 minutes. If using an Instant Pot, you can set your IP to the “rice” cooking mode.
- Cook until fluffy.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 425F, and grease a large casserole dish with vegan butter or cooking oil.
- Once the wild rice is cooked, add in the broccoli and 1 cup of the vegan cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and remove from heat.
- Pour the wild rice casserole mixture into your casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and place into the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegan cheese is completely melted and bubbling on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.