Vegan Tofu Halloumi
Recipe by Nada – One Arab Vegan onearabvegan.com
Nada is a guest on the Middle Eastern cuisine episode of Vegan Life magazine podcast – listen here
Serves 2 – 4
Salty savoury vegan halloumi that’s every bit as flavourful as the “real” thing- perfect on its own as an appetiser, in sandwiches or on salads.
- Half a block of extra firm tofu (organic and non-GMO is best)
- 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp of sea salt (adjust to your preference as needed)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Start by draining and pressing your tofu – wrap it in a clean cloth and place a heavy book on top for about 15 minutes. When done, slice your half block into strips 6-8 strips, not too thin and not too thick – somewhere in the middle. Set aside.
- Mix up your magical marinade by combining the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Note that you want the marinade to be a thicker consistency rather than watery – so adjust liquid amounts accordingly.
- Now we rub! In a shallow dish, lay out the tofu strips and pour over a little marinade on each strip before using your fingers to rub it in on both sides. This is the trick to really infusing the flavour in a short amount of time. Pour on any additional marinade left over and leave the tofu to rest for 30 minutes. For best results, I’d suggest marinating overnight.
- In the interim heat up your waffle iron – if you don’t have one you can substitute a panini-style or George Foreman grill.
- Grill tofu for 5 minutes or so in your waffle iron/grill until golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh mint, olives and tomatoes.