With Thanksgiving over, we are finally heading into the holiday season and we can move from Thanksgiving cooking and start looking into cooking for the holidays. When it comes to desserts to make, this Vegan Upside Down Pear & Thyme cake is both elegant and delicious!
Thyme in a cake may sound a little weird, but it pairs amazingly with the sweetness of a pear. You get a great blend of sweet from the pears with a hint of the aromatic thyme, bringing you an amazing dessert experience. Serve your cake with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream, vegan whipped cream, or even eat it as is. A cake like this is so good, it holds well on it’s own. Find the fully written recipe just down below.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min
Total Time: 55 Min
Vegan Upside Down Pear & Thyme Cake
- 3-4 Bosc Pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk, unsweetened
- 1 Flax Egg, (1 Tbsp Ground Flax + 4 Tbsp Water)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Avocado Oil
- ⅓ Cup Sugar, can sub for coconut sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1-2 Tsp Thyme, destemmed
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round baking pan with parchment paper and Preheat the oven to 350F. Peel and thinly slice your pears.
- In the baking pan, lay out your pears. Feel free to use whatever pattern you like! Pour your maple syrup over your pears and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your non-dairy milk, flax egg, apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, thyme, and salt. Whisk until evenly mixed. Fold your dry ingredients into your wet until combined and you get a batter consistency. Do not over mix.
- Pour your cake batter over your pears and using the back of a spoon or spatula, evenly smooth it out. Bake in the oven for 35-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15-20 minutes before carefully flipping the cake over onto a plate. Remove the parchment paper and enjoy!